Subject: [Leica] So now NIKON's perfect?!?
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 06:44:41 +0000

At 07:12 PM 11/30/1999 -0800, Ken Iisaka wrote:
>I concur.  I have been told that Nikon designers were tempted to change
the
>mount to remedy its deficiencies, namely the long distance between the
>flange and the film plane, and the diameter of the mount

Whoever they were are wrong. I have it from the head of NPS that this is

not the case.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
<<<<<

Eric,
I don't think this is correct--I think Ken is right. Several lens
designers have told me that the diameter of the exit pupil is the third
biggest limitation on the design of fast lenses for SLRs--first if you
discount selling price and size, which are the two limiting factors that
usually beat it out. Have you ever seen a Canon 50mm f/1? It obviously
uses every millimeter of the exit pupil.

- --Mike