Subject: Re: [Leica] Desperately seeking enlarger recommendation
From: "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:02:26 -0800

Hi Gareth,
as you can see there is a different opinion for every respondent.

Over the years I have used many enlargers including Beseler, Omega, Durst,
and Saunders, in sizes from 2x2 to 5x7. I found that ALL can do an adequate
job. However there are some that stand out as being more versatile.
In my opinion the very best buy for the money - and for your purpose - is
the Beseler 23C.
The 23C has two bellows. The extra bellows, above the negative stage, is for
collimating the light for the various negative sizes (35mm to 6x9). Unlike
most enlargers it does not require additional condensers to change from one
format to the next. With this feature it is possible to make reductions as
well as enlargements.
The negative stage is fully adjustable for alignment to the baseboard.
The negative stage can be tilted so that, in conjunction with a tilted easel
it can compensate for tilted-building architectural scenes.
The enlarger itself has a very strong and stable chassis, and the XL model
has an extra long column for greater enlargements.
Certainly you will not be able to brag to the Joneses about owning the most
glamorous enlarger but I take it that you are seeking a workhorse, not a
prima donna.
As for a lens, Nikkor, Schneider, or Rodenstock are good choices.

Your best bet is to compare all the features of the enlargers available in
your area keeping in mind your requirements.

Best wishes,
Joseph Codispoti