Subject: Re: [Leica] So now NIKON's perfect?!?
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 11:41:38 -0800

At 10:35 AM -0800 12/1/99, Ken Iisaka wrote:
>From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
>> >>>>>
>> At 07:12 PM 11/30/1999 -0800, Ken Iisaka wrote:
>> >I concur.  I have been told that Nikon designers were tempted to change
>the
>> >mount to remedy its deficiencies, namely the long distance between the
>> >flange and the film plane, and the diameter of the mount
>>
>> Whoever they were are wrong. I have it from the head of NPS that this is
>> not the case.
>>
>> Eric Welch
>> Carlsbad, CA
>>
>> Eric,
>> I don't think this is correct--I think Ken is right. Several lens
>> designers have told me that the diameter of the exit pupil is the third
>> biggest limitation on the design of fast lenses for SLRs--first if you
>> discount selling price and size, which are the two limiting factors that
>> usually beat it out. Have you ever seen a Canon 50mm f/1? It obviously
>> uses every millimeter of the exit pupil.
>
>and if you see the rear element of a Nikon 50/1.2, 55/1.2 and 58/1.2, every
>millimeter of space is used.  As the mater of fact, the rear element is
>trimmed a little bit for one of the tabs.  These rear elements are as far
>back as they can be placed without interference with the mirror, and there
>is no physical way to implement a larger exit pupil that determines the
>f-stop.
>
>The anecdote about the decision comes from a friend who is in the camera
>design group at Nikon who shall remain nameless to protect his job security.

There definitely are design constraints placed on someone who has only a
smaller diameter mount to work with, but it's the _entrance_ pupil that
determines the f-stop, not the _exit_ pupil. The size of the Nikon's mount
does not preclude a 50/1, it just makes it slightly more difficult.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com