Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: 75mm f1.4 DOF
From: "Jacques Bilinski" <jbilin@axionet.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 17:13:22 -0800

>A 50mm lens at f/1.4 focused at 10 feet has from 9'7" to 10'5" in focus. A
100mm lens at f/1.4 focused at 20
>feet (exact same image size on the film as the 50mm example),

>Jim

> No, by magnification, what I mean is that a 50mm showing the subject at
the
> plane of focus of 1/2 life size is going to be X inches from the subject.
> 100mm macro lens at 1/2 life size is going to be 2X the distance.

>Eric

These statement are in themselves approximations. You can determine that
with basic high school trigonometry. But those who are more comortable
gleaning their beliefs from voices of authority can refer to page 52 of the
New Leica R8 sales brochure by Leica Camera AG, Germany. (what better
authority could there be :) )

Angle of view of the 50mm Summicron R - 45 degrees, Angle of view of the
100mm Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R  - 25 degrees.

45 = 2 times 25 (approximately).