Subject: [Leica] RE: Off Topic - Apple comments
From: "Mitch Zeissler" <zeissler@wt.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 12:46:17 -0500

> These figures you cite tell us little.  There was almost two decades where
> the fruity #2 brand had a minuscule share of the market -- and
> those twenty years of sale ARE the pool of computers now in use.  A LOT of
companies
> still are using a 286 in the back room for some program they have been
> running for years, such as a billing system which has never been upgraded.

My wife just told me last evening of an audit taken recently at NIH in
Bethesda.  They have some 30,000 Macs and some 20,000 PCs (those are
enormous numbers of computers considering they have a personnel count
somewhere between 3,000 and 5,000).  She said the Mac population includes a
large number of *old* Apple II boxes.

In my own company (Gannett), we are only now getting rid of the last of our
286 and 386 boxes because of Y2K issues, otherwise we would use them until
they died.  Additionally, we have a large number of Macs (thousands) in use
at the various papers we own.

/Mitch