Subject: Re: [Leica] re: Konica and Contax
From: Pete Su <psu@esgear.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 1999 21:29:52 -0500

Its fashionable to call the Contax G a fancy "point and shoot". I think
is somewhat misguided, since the camera gives you perfect control over
exposure and decent control over composition. Most point and shoots fail
in these two areas to one extent or another.

But, the trouble is focus...

1. The camera parks the lens at infinity after every shot. So, obtaining
focus lock is tedious.
2. No DOF markings on the lens, not that it would do you any good, given
1.

In my mind, these are serious problems. This limits ones control of
focus.

The other big objection some people raise is that there is no visible
indication of focus in the viewfinder. Well, to my mind, the Leica M has
exactly this same problem. The double image is no more an "real"
indication of focus than the CCD sensors in the G2's autofocus system.

There is  no real way for the M user to evaluate focus in the
viewfinder. If the RF is out of whack, you don't find out until the
slides come back.

Just MHO.

Pete

p.s. the konica is expensive because it is mechanically complicated and
made in limited numbers, just like the leica. nuff said, get a life. its
still cheaper than most used M stuff.