Subject: [Leica] R8 polemic
From: Grégoire Vandenschrick <vandenschrick@geog.ucl.ac.be>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 14:11:37 +0100

It's again and again the same problem about the R8;

too bulky, too big and too fat, etc... In my hands, it's perfect, moreover,
the other R's are too small for me, if I want a small and lightweight
camera, I'll go for an M, but now, I need and enjoy to use the R8. Cann't we
stop discussing always the same thing. Surely, the R8 is a Leica, with all
its Philosophy in mind, It's not the "M5" of the R, it's the "M7".

I totally understand all the people who own leicaflexes, or older R Bodies,
with a huge park of lenses, and who appreciate immensely their own system
camera, I myself own some old cameras I immensely appreciate, with each one
its little ennoying details and plus, this one is brighter, the other one is
lighter... But why do we have to pejorate every new item made by leica, the
R8 is heavier and bigger than the other, this has nothing to do with the
pleasure of using it.

Its design surely made not everybody appealed, even in Leica, but this is
nevertheless a beautiful exercice of style, if you don't appreciate the
design, you have to recognize that. All is at the best place, and all is
very well done.

and maybe, this is not the camera, but what we're doing with it that is
important

your comments are welcome

Greg