Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V13 #83
From: "Eno" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 01:03:33 -0500

<<Finally, I would like to conclude my message with an additional idea for
an
"economy Leica M". There are many M users who own only one lens, usually a
35mm
or a 50mm. There are many M users who use two, three or more bodies with a
particular lens being permanently attached to each body. So there should be
market for a Leica M with a fixed lens and a potential for substantial
savings
in production cost:>>
<<
no frame selector, simplified finder and frames, preferably with
magnification
being optimised for the fixed lens installed,

no cost for lens and body bayonet

rangefinder, center and focus adjustment could be done in one step and with
higher tolerances, instead of two steps for body and lens separately and
with
tighter tolerances,

focal plane shutter could be replaced by an aperture plane shutter (from the
shelf, mass produced, cheap, low noise, 1/500" flash synch, plenty of space
in
the body for electronics, integrated winder etc., if you really want that)

In principle Leica should be able to produce the "fixed lens M" at the cost
of
the respective interchangeable lens (or slightly above that). What do you
think
about this?

Hans-Peter>>>>>
I think we don't want to define the piece as "that much" of a p/s!