Subject: [Leica] OFF TOPIC: Re: How make your own website? (of Leica pictures)
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 15:40:11 -0500

1999-12-08-14:45:23 Hans-Peter.Lammerich:
> I am interested to establish a small, non-commercial website just in order to
> share some of my pictures with the world. Is there anybody who can recommend a
> textbook or website were I can learn quickly how to do it?

I guess the two big considerations are:

  - setting up a computer to be a webserver

and

  - getting the computer hooked up to the Net with good bandwidth.

The second of these is actually the most unpredictable and therefore
in some sense the hardest, as it requires finding a hosting site or
getting a fairly fat pipe of bandwidth into your home or such, and the
arrangements necessary vary from region to region.

Setting the computer up can be quite simple: for example, the current
Red Hat Linux release (6.1) comes with an Apache webserver (the
most-used webserver on the planet, with a shade under 60% of the
world's active servers), and you can specify that Apache be installed
as part of your initial OS install.  A few minutes of loading software
onto an otherwise empty machine, and... poof!  You have a webserver.
You might have to fine-tune one or two things in the httpd.conf file
or the Linux networking config once you know where the box will really
live.

As an alternative to Red Hat, since you're presumably in Germany, you
might wish to consider a S.U.S.E. distribution.

    https://www.redhat.com/commerce/redhatlinux.html

    http://www.suse.com/

    http://www.apache.org

Check the hardware compatibility list for the distribution you're
considering against the machine you intend to use before jumping in
with both feet.

 -Jeff M