Subject: [Leica] Provia MTF graphs
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 06:49:21 +0100

I have just been looking at my first two rolls of Provia 100F (RDP III)
slides. My own conclusion at this point is that the film is definitely
not a quantum leap over the old Provia (RDP II)--in fact, I am not sure
that it is an improvement at all. But I need to shoot the other 3 rolls
I bought under more controlled conditions before deciding.

In the meantime, I have been looking at the data sheets. I have seen
some comments to the effect  that the grain reduction in RDP III has
gone too far, to the point of reducing perceived sharpness. Looking at
the MTF graphs for RDP II and RDP III, one sees that the curve for the
new film is flatter. Thus, at a frequency of 5 the response for both
films is identical at over 100%. However, at 10 lp/mm the response of
RDP II has dropped to 100% while RDP III is still above 100%; and at 20
lp/mm, RDP II is at 70% while RDP III is between 90% and 100%. Since
these are the frequencies that determine apparent sharpness in a
picture, doesn't this comparison imply that RDP III is sharper than RDP
II? Or am I misreading the curves, and if so, what can one learn from
the comparison?

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman