Subject: Re: [Leica] scanner recommendation
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 22:27:29 -0800

At 7:44 AM -0800 12/9/99, Eric Welch wrote:
>> The best table-top dedicated 35mm film scanner is without any doubt the
>> Kodak.
>
>Not any more. The Kodak has been bested by the 4000 dpi Polaroid. The
>software might be a bit weak at this point, but it scans a bigger file,
>which has some merit.
>
>And I've been using a Nikon LS 30 at work, and am blown away by the quality
>of the scan for a $799 USD scanner. I'm going to seriously consider getting
>this scanner for my new Mac, as soon as it goes USB or Firewire.

I compared the Nikon LS-2000 and the 4000 Polaroid this fall for a couple
of days side by side. The Polaroid will give you slightly more detail, but
not the dynamic range of the Nikon, even when the Nikon is in single scan
mode. With multi-scan, it's no contest. Add in the great dust & scratch
handling of the Nikon, and I bought the Nikon. Got it for under $1000US
refurbished by Nikon.

If you are doing B&W, or color neg, get the Polaroid (if you can put up
with the terrible software). For slides with a high D-Max, the Nikon wins.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com