Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica AF camera
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 10:28:57 -0700

The Leica M finder is an amazing bit of optical engineering that has not
been replicated to date. The Hexar RF finder is low mag and, according to
reports on this list, noticeably dimmer than the Leica finder. The Canon 7
models are substantially larger than an M body and the finder is no where
near the quality of the Leica. The Nikon SP is dimmer yet and the 28/35
frame lines do not have parallax correction. Leica had to increase the size
of the body 2mm just to accomodate TTl flash cicuitry. I do not think that
the finder you wish could be accommodated with out a substantial increase in
body size. The present finder has all the disadvantages which we are all
aware of; but, it is bright, contrasty and offers unequaled low light
focussing ability which I prize above all else. I can focus swiftly and
accurately in light I would have trouble walking in. When someone makes a
better rangefinder I will be very impressed.