Subject: Re: [Leica] scanner recommendation
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 13:03:01 -0500

At 08:42 AM 12/10/99 -0900, you wrote:
>Eric said
><The Polaroid can be found for $1795 USD. Speed is great, and all
>that, but a good point was made about the Nikon LS2000, the
>multi-scan for shadows is a major benefit. I hadn't known about that
>'til I read about it yesterday.>
>
>Eric
>
>If you use photoshop (photoshop 5.+ is easiest) it is no problem to dual
>scan (or more), place all in separate layers, and do your thing.

But the multi-sample scanning on the Nikon increases the bit-depth per
pixel by reducing system noise. "With a 4x scan the pixel depth is
increased by two bits per pixel and with a 16x scan the pixel depth is
increases by four bits per pixel."
That is straight out of the manual.  I have no idea what it means, but with
contrasty slides the multiple scans greatly increase the shadow
detail.  It's not scanning the whole slide 16 different times, but scanning
each pixel 16 times as the scanner moves across the slide once.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com