Subject: [Leica] HCB Print Quality
From: wvl <wvl@marinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 19:48:33 -0800

> "These are NOT examples of print making
> at its finest".  They were quite large, at least 16x20, and maybe I made
> the mistake of standing too close.  I figured you can never be too close to
> a real HCB print.  ;-)
>
> Dan C.

Dan, last Spring I saw the HCB exhibit "The Europeans" in Denmark. There
were about 160 prints spanning the period of the 1930's to a shot at the
Princess Diana grave/funeral. I agree the real prints are less than the
reputation of HCB would lead one to expect. I have seen his work in
books and magazines all my life and thought there would be a big
improvement in reality.

I also saw Ralph Gleason's exhibit at the Museum of European Photography
in Paris. Many were excellent prints but some also were average, in my
opinion. Unlike HCB, Gleason makes his own prints, but, I read that he
makes some from copy negatives of prints.

When I have seen AA's work in galleries I find it to be event better
than the fine print reproductions that abound. I don't know why HCB's
prints aren't better, but, I'd guess he is interested in "the decisive
moment" more than it's reproduction.

Bill Lawlor