Subject: RE: [Leica] chosing between 50Nocti or 50Summi
From: "Mitch Zeissler" <zeissler@wt.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 19:08:58 -0500

> If you like absolutely lost backgrounds and subject popping off the back
> ground, I 'd go Noctilux. If you're not prepared to use it lots of times
at
> f 1.0 for it's very unique look, but prefer the deep depth of field look I
> don' buy the Noctilux.
>
> ted

One of the things I haven't seen many folks talk about with the Noct is that
you *can* use it wide open in broad daylight.

Just use neutral density filters.

I know, I know, I'll get all sorts of flames about putting anything in front
of Leica glass, but you can get some utterly amazing shots in normal
lighting this way.  I have 1 through 10 f-stops of reduction and can shoot
wide open at high noon with it.

Ted's description of "absolutely lost backgrounds" is right on the money.  I
took some shots last summer at Arlington National Cemetery using the ND
filter technique and the results were really disorienting.  I shot the
corner of a head stone wide open with the ND filter and the subject falloff
was so great you couldn't figure out what it was at first.

I am still learning the capabilities of this wild lens.

/Mitch