Subject: Re: [Leica] Meter Suggestions
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 13:39:29 -0500

I second the nomination of the Luna Pro Digital F: light, compact, and
accurate.  I carry it with me all the time.  I also have a Pentax Digital
Spot, another lovely meter.  It's bulkier by far, but indispensable when I
want to pull a reading from a reflective surface at a distance.

CHandos

At 01:23 PM 12/12/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi Bill,
>I have a Gossen Luna Star F and a Sekonic L-508. They both measure
>reflected and incident though in reflected mode the Sekonic is a spot zoom
>meter reading from 1 degree to 4 degrees. The Gossen meter reads a broad
>range (don't know the precise angle off hand) and with an attachment
>(purchased separately) can be converted to a 5 degree spot meter. The
>Gossen is smaller, fitting nicely in the palm, and in the pocket, and turns
>itself on when you go to make a reading. Another feature I particularly
>like is the ability to quickly read the scene contrast range by holding
>down the metering button and scanning the scene from the darkest to the
>brightest areas. The f-stop range will be displayed on an analog scale. The
>Gossen can do this too, but less smoothly, with many more button pushes.
>Both meters usually come with me on a shoot, one for backup. But when I can
>go out on a shoot with just Leicas, no lights, I always slip the Luna Star
>F in my pocket. Hope this helps.
>

>One of the other Bills,
>
>Bill
>

>will At 10:50 AM 12/12/1999 -0500, you wrote:
> >Hi Everyone,
> >
> >Recently became the proud owner of an M4-2, now I'm looking for a handheld
> >meter to help me with exposure settings. I'm not very up-to-date with
> >exposure meters, so I thought I'd check with other LUG members to see what
> >meters you all use <g>.
> >
> >I'm looking for a small meter that measures reflected light (not fancy or
> >feature laden) and will fit in my pocket or on a chain around my neck.
> >
> >What make/models do you like?
> >
> >Thanks... Bill
> >
> >PS I noticed another LUG member signing postings with "Bill" (this Bill was
> >here first, I'm new), would it be easier if I signed "the other Bill" to
> >differentiate between us so you don't have to scroll back up to check
> >headers?

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http://www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown