Subject: [Leica] Re: stainless steel reels (was: Xtol dilution)
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 09:08:18 -0800

I recently switched to Hewes reels. I have a dozen or more Nikor reels now
in storage. It is virtually impossible to misload a Hewes reel.

My daughter, who started darkroom work in October, has processed a few
dozen rolls of film on Hewes reels without a single mishap. The one time
she used one of the old Nikor reels, I had to go into the darkroom and save
her as she could not get it to load straight. That's when I went out and
bought the Hewes reels. I've used Nikor reels for so long that I never have
a problem. But I remember how long it took to get the perfect "feel" of

Jim