Subject: Re: [Leica] Photoshop hardware requirements?
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 14:16:49 -0700

The G4 chip has what Apple is calling "velocity engine", a separate
vector-processing unit built on to the chip in addition to the regular
processor. The G4 should have shipped with a photoshop plug-in to take
advantage of the new chip. It is significantly faster than a G3. Here are
some figures from MacWorld. As you can see it depends on the operation
whether or there is a any speed gain.

John Collier

            RGB to CMYK         Unsharp Mask        Lightning Effects

G4/400          21.1s               9.7s                    7.8s

G3/400          22.6s               13.3s                   28.1s