Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W Scanning
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 07:39:13 -0800

sometime around 12/13/99 11:51 PM, Mark Rabiner at mrabiner@concentric.net
was heard  to write:

> But it is only a half stop brighter than the table because the light levels
> are
> so low.
> So  you have to increase development of your neg to place that face where it
> belongs on you scale (Zone) plan or you just say screw it I'll print it on
> number 4 (instead of your normal 3).
> So where does that leave us in this issue?
> I think zones are frames of mind, what you make them, not logarithmic or
> numberical There are numbers involved. But they come later it think.

Mark,

You don't "place" zone V. You place Zone III and let the mid tones fall
where they may. Develop for the highlights (develop for your zone VI in this
example) and then use paper grades, and dodging and burning, to get your
final intent. You can't adjust development for two adjacent zones. It would
blow out the ends.

- --

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

Zen master to hotdog vendor. "Make me one with everything."