Subject: Re: [Leica] Konica HEXAR RF Lenses reviewed in CI #220
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 09:03:52 -0800

sometime around 12/15/99 4:19 AM, Gaifana@aol.com at Gaifana@aol.com was
heard  to write:

> As I pointed out earlier, the much earlier rangefinder base is the same. The
> limiting factor is your ability to focus the camera, and that's the only
> place the shorter effective base length comes into play.

And by what reasoning is this "only?" What do you mean by much earlier?
IIIF? The M6 has a better viewfinder for focusing because the magnification
is higher. Magnification and rangefinder base determine accuracy of
focusing. And The M6 .72 can focus a 75 Summilux and 90 Summicron just fine.
And if you think there is no size/weight advantage to those lenses and an
M6, then you haven't used them, and the equivalent in SLRs. There is a major
difference in bulk and weight. Especially bulk. Just becuase it doesn't turn
your crank doesn't mean they aren't still an advantage. And if you think the
only lenses 80% of Leica users buy is the 35 f/2 and 50 f/2, well you don't
know a large component of Leica users - professionals. Let along amateurs
who use 28s, 21s and increasing numbers using 24s. Let alone 90s. If what
you say is true, Leica would have stop selling the longer lenses a long time
ago. Think outside the box.

- --

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

Zen master to hotdog vendor. "Make me one with everything."