Subject: RE: [Leica] Lens choice--sole lens for M6
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 15:45:56 -0000

Sorry, Julian...I missed the original post and just jumped into what seemed
to be the usual "which is best" thread..:-)

Now for an attempt at a real answer to a real question...Both the pre-asph
Summicron 35 and the Summicron 50 are terrific lenses. And, frankly, were it
not for Erwin's lab tests and the availability of the ASPHs, we'd all still
probably think they were the world's best...So then the question is, which
focal length will you be happiest with? If it were me, I'd go for the 35,
which I find to be less limiting than the 50. The 35 allows me to get
relatively close to a subject and yet still include some of the subject's
environment. At the same time, if I need to, I can get just about as tight
with the 35 as I can with the 50. The 50 is a neat lens, but as someone, I
think Michael Hintlian, observed a while back, when you really nail it with
a 50, you get a superb photo...but the percentage of getting that kind of
shots is lower than it would be with a 35.

So go for the 35...And don't forget, it's also a minute lens, which,
combined with an M, makes a pocketable lens/body combination.

B. D.