Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens choice--sole lens for M6
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 08:19:38 +0100

Julian,

I would vote for the 50mm Summilux if that is to be your truly only lens, but as
others have written, it does not really matter as you will be getting the other
focal lengths too--you just don't know it yet (or maybe you do...).

I want to comment on photographing children in the situation you describe. I
have done it a lot, having a 5-year old daughter and a 10-year old son. Just
this week I spent an hour in my daughter's classroom, snapping shots of her and
her classmates doing various activities. In this kind of situation, forget 1/15.
Five-year olds do not sit still enough. Even if you have a steady enough hand,
your pictures will all be blurred due to subject movement. I was using the M3
with a Noctilux and Fuji PJ800 film. This allowed me to shoot at f1.4-f2 at
1/125 or 1/250. Had the classroom been a bit less brightly lit (the usual
combination of overhead fluorescent lights and window light) I would have gone
up to f1, keeping the shutter speed up.

The same thing has been true when I have been taking pictures of my son's boy
scout activities etc. You need to have a lens/film combination that will allow
speeds of at least 1/60 and preferably faster.

Nathan

Julian Koplen wrote:

> I agree that the eyes should be the focal point, but I just don't think I
> can do it with a 35mm or 50mm R lens indoors.  These are wiggly children,
> ages 2-5.  Maybe I've got it all wrong.  Comments/helpful hints from the
> group would be welcome at this point.  Am I off base on this?
>
> I plan to re-check light levels tomorrow. Today, I was getting one or two
> stops less light than what you mentioned in your message, but even if your
> estimates turn out to be accurate, I don't think I can hand-hold an R camera
> and get a reasonaable number of sharp pictures of  unposed little children,
> using 1/15 second--even though the depth of field would be wonderful.
>
> Thanks for your input.  Every suggestion helps me in my thinking about the
> task.
>
> And welcome (picture your message here) back.
>
> Julian

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium