Subject: Re: [Leica] Luggers going to India ? Which Lenses
From: Akhil Lal <alal@bcc.cuny.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 09:17:18 -0500

jsaravia@zeus.uniandes.edu.co wrote:

> At 06:09 PM 15/12/1999 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> Hi Akhil,
>
> First of all thanks for your answer, I will be  in Delhi by Dec 24, and then
> not sure, but I want to go Agra, North India and the go to the South (some
> friends want to go to visit an ashram (sp ?) that is located south
> Bangalore)

If you are going to Delhi this time of the year, take a warm jacket or a
heavy sweater. It can get cold. Don't forget to vist the State
Handicraft Emporia on Rajpath. Also the silversmiths and jewelers in old
Delhi. Ask your hotel for directions. If you are a train buff visit the
Train Museum too. Take a good guide book or buy one at any bookshop
there.

I'd take a 24, 50 & 135. Monuments are best photographed with a 24 or
21. Take plenty of film, as the local prices are high and slide film amy
be hard to find. I general K 25 or 64 will be fast enough, but take some
high spped film for low light photos.

 If I could I wish I couId take just one lens to shoot all I could
> find (general photography), I  have considered the 24, I have used it a lot
> (even for people) and I like the results, I also have a Noctilux, I donīt
> have th 35 with me now.

One lens will not be enough, IMHO.

> By the way some people have been warning me about how dangerous may be to
> drink, even bottleled water outside restaurants, is it  true ? this is my
> first trip to India so I donīt know many things.

This all depends on your tolerance. If you are worried, buy a case of
bottled water, leave it in your hotel room, and carry a bottle with you
when you are out sightseeing. My wife's cousin has spent several months
in India without any problems. She uses a Swiss made water purifier sold
in camping goods stores. This has a ceramic filter with very small pores
and can filter out virtually all unfriendly microbes. An activated
charcoal filter is available as an option too.

Regards,
Akhil