Subject: Re: [Leica] G Zoom
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 06:42:30 +0000

The G zoom is a normal zoom with a focal length of 35-70. For those who
have used this very modest range of focal length, there is nothing terribly
zooooomy about it. The aperture is also a modest f3.4. Again for those used
to using lenses wide open in the region of f2 and bigger, this will not
excite too.

Except for the conveniece of carrying "only one lens", I would prefer to
carry my prime G lenses (after all they are not that heavy) and have the
advantage of a wide down to 28mm and a tele up to 90mm.

IMO, the zoom has been introduced to corner more market share. I know of
people who bicker, criticise and hesitate about using the Contax G system
because "they do not have any zoom lenses!" Alas, there are those who just
must have a zoom lens. Contax/Kyocera understands this intense obsession.

Dan K.

     Children should be children....and let them enjoy their childhood.
       Record their smiles and expressions on B&W photography........
             .... for you will see them that way only once.