Subject: Re: [Leica]The value of Popular Photography
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:45:36 -0700

Free publicity is a great thing, though I think Popular Photo's glory
days were in the '60s and '70s (thicker, more columns), so today, I'd
think Leica might also benefit from getting coverage elsewhere,
including some non-photographic magazines with the right reader
demographics.

And they already have an email newsletter, but don't announce zingers or
"members-only pre sales" or indeed, anything that would make a person
stand outside the nearest store fifteen minutes before opening. They
have been mailing out Leica View lately, but email lists are lots
cheaper. The newsletters could link to the Leica website, which could
link to dealers (who would have reciprocal links)

But on the whole, I think Mr. Cohn really does "get it".

Dan S wrote:

> So what is the value of the mag?  MARKETING.  Leica should be thrilled that
> they got a decent review in Pop Photo, not because the testing is worth the
> paper it is written on, but because that one crappy biased magazine will
> generate more sales of M's and lenses than all the "M campaign" brochures in
> the world.
>
> It has exposure, and that is the one thing Leica really needs now.
> Too many people just don't know the company even exists.

- --

Jeff Segawa
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado
http://www.boulder.net/~4season