Subject: Re: [Leica] W. Eugene Smith
From: "Mark Rutledge" <markrut@ticnet.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 14:42:19 -0600

Johnny,

Smith is not my "favorite" either, but I do like his work.The LIFE
assignments are especially very nice, as well as Minimata(LIFE as well?). I
think some of this opinion may be the result of viewing his work in a
historical context, appreciating what he was doing at the time.But, I can't
say I'm mesmerized by his work like I am with others.

Try to get a peek at Doubletake, his Jazz images are pretty interesting and
a change from the work one usually associates with Smith (although I'm no
expert ,and there are many more images by him I haven't seen). Any LUG
input?

Who do you like? Right know I'm really interested in a lot of the older
photogs..Brassai,Rodchenko, Bauhaus stuff.

BTW, really liked your website, can't wait till all the pages are completed!

Happy Holidays,
Mark Rutledge