Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: full moon
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 19:25:42 -0500

At 03:03 PM 12/17/1999 -0800, Ted Grant, sage Nestor of us all, wrote:
>I have to question this size at the horizon and height above the horizon
>not making any difference in the size of the moon recorded and as seen by
>the eye.

Ted

This is certainly an "optical effect" but it is one as real to chemistry as
to the eye.  That is, shooting a picture of the moon near the horizon makes
it seem larger than it really is, due to the effect of refraction through
the greater envelope of atmosphere, rather than the niggardly one when the
moon is overhead.  (The difference is something along the lines of 100
miles of air vertically versus 350 or 400 miles horizontally.)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!