Subject: Re: [Leica] Bay Area Lug/Leg impromptu yosemite trip:MOON
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 18:31:46 -0700

The "great full moon" is a combination of events of which only a repeatable
few will be photographic in nature. December 22 will, of course, be the
longest night of the year for the northern hemisphere and there will be a
full moon. This combination occurs every three decades or so. The full moon,
however, will be at its perigee (closest point to earth for the year) as
well. This combination last occurred in 1866 and then the moon was not at
its closest point for the year, just the month. This is the kind of event
that, in more primitive days, would have us sacrificing the nearest
non-Leica photographer to propitiate the gods. Wait! There is more! This
event is within a few days of the maximum tilt of the axis of the earth to
the sun. Tides will be just a few inches higher and lower than normal,
exposing seabed or covering shoreline that it is normally not effected by
the tides. Why throw in a low pressure system and watch everybody forget all
about Y2K. The moon will only be 14% bigger than at its apogee on December
8, so do not expect to fill the frame with your 21mm (or any other M lens).
So what does all this mean?

It will be a long night to photograph a slightly larger moon well inland!

All this was cheerfully plagiarized from the December issue of Discover.

John Collier