Subject: [Leica] Re: New website -- seeking feedback
From: "Michael D. Turner" <mike@lcl-imaging.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 02:37:54 +0000

Dave Fisher wrote:

> Dear fellow LUG members,
>
> After bashing my head trying to construct a website, it's finally done. I'd
> like to invite you all to take a look and would appreciate any feedback. The
> site as it presently stands is exclusively black & white photojournalism --
> lots of music, travel, home, etc. -- with colour archives already in the
> works to join it shortly.
>
> The URL is: http://home.golden.net/~tekapo
>
> I tried compressing the images as small as possible without too much loss in
> quality. It shouldn't take too long for the images to load. The site is
> randomly ordered; about 40% of it was taken with my M6.
>
> As I say, any and all feedback is appreciated. Please tell me what browser
> you're viewing it on as well, that would be helpful, and don't hesitate to
> be critical about the photos or the site itself.
>
> Cheers, Dave Fisher
> Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
> tekapo@golden.net

Looks great, Dave, however, even with my Netscape browser on Linux, it's
agonizingly slow getting your home page. I would suggest using much smaller
images, particularly on the bar. If you keep them small, low resolution images
still look good and take less time for the viewer, typically using a 56k modem,
as I do, to see. We can click to see the higher res images.  It looks like high
contrast is your style, but beware that if you intend to show any shadow
detail... monitors ain't so good at that.
Oh, by the way. Compression is good for transmission time, but the client
computer still has to decompress each image and that takes time. Those of us
without T1 connections may get too impatient to see your work.
- -Mike