Subject: Re: [Leica] Help on shooting available light pictures
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 23:36:08 -0800

From: J Beal <jbeal@bendnet.com>
>    I feel rather sheepish saying this in the company of the LUG, but I
don't
> have a darkroom or access to one.  I feel that has restricted me to
consumer
> level print films.  (Maybe this an "amateur" mindset I need to break).
For
> color print, I've been using Fuji 400 and rather like it, except for the
low
> light stuff.  For low light color, I've tried the Kodak Max 800 (based on
> very positive review in Popular Photography, FWIW) and Konica 3200 to
mixed
> results.  The Konica was butchered at a "custom lab", which was a shame,
> having contained the last Disneyland Main Street Electrical Parade.  The
Max
> 800 just it's grabbing me.  Surprisingly, the Kodak Black & White + (C41
> process) stuff I've been shooting at low light is giving me the most
> satisfaction.  I just feel I'm not using the Leica to its potential by not
> being better with color film.  I would love to blame the processing
(mostly
> at a mini-lab), but that seems a copout.  I know it's not the equipment
and
> the film is just the medium, which leaves me.

You do not need darkroom at all to start processing your own film.  All you
need is a good-sized film changing bag, and a tank.  I prefer a metal tank
due to its compactness.  Nikor and Kindermann are the best I've ever used,
but I am quite satisfied with the less expensive LPL that I bought when I
lived in Japan.

I am quite happy with the results I get from Ilford Delta 3200, rated at
1600, processed in XTOL for 7 minutes, 30-seconds agitation interval, at
24C.  Sure, you will see grains at enlargements larger than 3x5", however,
it is not unpleasant (at least to me.)  The contrast of the negative is so
that it prints well on Ilford Multigrade IV paper without filter, equivalent
to grade 2.

I just came out of my darkroom, printing my Christmas cards, a photograph of
my son playing with a baloon, taken at a party at a brewery: the lighting
was dim.  I was shooting at 1/15 with Noctilux wide open at its closest
focussing distance.  The lack of depth of field is quite remarkable, and
while his chest is in focus, his eyes are not.  Still, it captured a
beautiful expression of his face and the glowing light cast on him.  When I
have my web page set up, I will post it there too.

So, go ahead, and get that big hunk of glass, and a change bag and become
the king of darkness.

Cheers,