Subject: Re: [Leica] Help on shooting available light pictures
From: Johnny Deadman <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 12:18:58 +0000

on 19/12/99 6:00 am, J Beal at jbeal@bendnet.com wrote:

> - - If I move the purchase of a home darkroom up before a Summilux-M 35 (damn
> things will be all snapped up, I fear), how do I achieve satisfactory
> results with color?

Personally, J, I find that good consumer print films are perfectly
satisfactory for available-darkness work, if that's your bag. Fuji Superia
is used by a lot of pros, actually.

A couple of thoughts:

- - try switching to Fuji RMS 100/1000 reversal film. This can be rated from
100-1000 ASA and in my experience the results are excellent. My lab will
push +4 stops without charging extra. Alternatively, try other 400/800
reversal emulsions. This in itself may solve your problem... who knows?

- - my main thought: you need that Summilux. I have been shooting available
darkness, generally at 1/30 @ 1.4, for the last couple of months and have
*never* run out of light, shooting on TX rated at 400 in Xtol.

- - another thought: invest in a changing bag, a kinderman tank, some hewes
reels, a film loader and a few brown bottles and you will recoup your
investment in about a month flat on processing fees. Use Xtol...wonderful
soup. Only b/w really, using this setup, but that's what your Leica's for!!

- --
Johnny Deadman

photos:      http://www.cinematic.freeserve.co.uk
music:      http://www.jukebox.demon.co.uk