Subject: [Leica] Re: Exposing slide film at night
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 08:50:15 -0600

At 05:34 AM 19/12/99 -0800, Gib Robinson wrote:
I've usually dealt with the problem by bracketing so widely I was
>bound to get acceptable results.

This is probably the best way to go.  Reciprocity failure, for one, will
limit your ability to judge the exposure properly, even with a very
sensitive meter, unless you've tested a specific film for that extensively.
 You also get nasty colour shifts, and all of this depends on which film
you plan to use.
   The nice thing about bracketing for the shots you plan to take, is that
often the "correct" exposure is not the most pleasing.  With Christmas
lights at night, you may prefer a shot that's  1/2, 1, 1 1/2 or 2 stops
over or underexposed.  Put them all up on the light table and look at them
together, and you may find several that appeal, for different reasons.
   I don't care if I get flamed for this.  Go with bracketing in this
situation.  I don't bracket all the time, but in situations like this it is
a good way to be sure that you will come home with something good.