Subject: Re: [Leica] 90mm Elmarit/Summicron Quandry
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 22:05:15 +0100

Roger,

I think that you have answered your own question. If you are not planning
on using the extra stop, then it is probably not worth it for you to buy
the Summicron. I love mine, but then again, I do use the full aperture
frequently. The Elmarit (which I owned once) is a wonderful, sharp lens
too. And it is quite inexpensive on the second-hand market now that the
Summicron is out.

Nathan

Roger Underwood wrote:

> Hi luggers,
>
> Just looking for views on whether to get the new APO f2/90 Summicron
> or the f2.8 /90 Elmarit when I buy my new lens for my M6 next month.
>
> I don't expect to use the extra stop all that often, except possibly
> for the reduced depth of field.  The weight advantage of the Elmarit
> is also in its favour as I expect to use the 90mm out and about.
> Another factor, small but difficult to ignore, is that I can get it
> in silver chrome to match my Leica.  I'm also wary about buying a
> relatively new product.  The reported stiffness after pressing the
> Summicron's focusing ring is a bit off-putting.
>
> The main question is which is the better lens?  Does the the
> Summicron as a later lens offer better resolution and contrast at 2.8
> than the Elmarit?  From reading Erwin's test this would appear to be
> so.  But would it be so apparent in practise that I need to bring it
> into account.  I should say that I will be using the lens for
> enlargements up to 20 x 16.
>
> Comments would be welcome.
>
> Regards
>
> Roger Underwood