Subject: Re: [Leica] Incident light: A Question
From: Mike Gardner <mikeg@neca.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 11:37:48 -0500

csocolow wrote:

> I use incident metering for a majority of my commercial work. This
> applies to both flash, ambient and combinations of both of these light
> sources. I primarily use a Minolta Flashmeter IV

I do as well.  Does a great job.  I also use a Pentax spot meter as modified
by Zone VI for checking a scene when an incident meter can't do the job.
One example is an architectural photo where I used the spot meter to balance
the interior lighted windows of a building with a darkening twilight sky.
When the readings were close between the windows and the sky, I adjust the
overall exposure open a bit, based on a spot meter reading of the building
itself.  I also use the spot meter for black & white landscapes or building
photos.  With my M6's, I use the Ted Grant method ... light up the two
arrows and push the button ...

> Now for the question as it relates to my Leica use. Upon recommendation
> of many sage members of the LUG, I purchased a Sekonic L-308BII

This is my main outdoor general shooting meter.  My experience is the same
with regard to underexposure.  I set the ISO for a third of a stop less and
the metering is right on the money.  I.e. I set the meter for 80 when
shooting Provia for example, at 50 when shooting K64.  I've been doing this
for so long I don't even think about it anymore.

Mike Gardner

Photos on the Web at http://users.neca.com/mikeg