Subject: Re: [Leica] incidently
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 11:46:23 -0500

There is no magic about incident light metering... it is ***exactly*** the
same as metering an 18% gray card, except that it is just a 'white' card,
and then zone IX is converted to zone V. Incident metering is just metering
non-shiny highlights.

Most of the time the M6 meter  works just fine. It  just reads the white
spot on the front of the otherwise black shutter. If I see a very bright sky
I just point the lens down. If there are lots of shadows and highlights I
just point to try to include some of both. If you are pointing at someone's
face just open up a stop and it will be fine (assuming  caucasian skin which
is slightly lighter than a middle gray - IOW zone VI).

A spot meter allows you to either measure a highlight and then 'open up' or
measure a shadow and then 'stop down'. The reason to do this is that typical
negative film handles overexposure better than underexposure, so if you are
sure the shadows have been exposed enough, everything else usually works
out.

On the other hand, slide film tends to work better with underexposure than
overexposure so its better to meter the highlights.

Trust me, the photocells are the same, the meters are really no different
once you understand how it works.

Jonathan Borden

> Very well said!  You go around the set and make sure the light intensity
is
> what you want in various parts of the scene.  In cinematography you aren't
> just capturing one image.
>
> As to the other question. The flat disk allows you to take a reading of
just
> light coming from one direction.  You can just measure your key light and
> then your fill and calculate the ratio. I believe that it was Victor
Kemper
> who showed this technique.  He did his ratios by eye and was obviously
very
> experienced.
>
> Mike D

After