Subject: [Leica] Incident light measurement
From: Lutz Konermann <lutzkonermann@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 15:11:58 -0500

I just dropped into what seems to be an ongoing exchange of views. I read
Frank's and Bernard's and thought I could add some...

I've been photographing for 27 years now, 22 of which as a
cinematographer. I'm quite surprised that a discussion of this sort has
arisen among Leica M users. The Leica M, in my view, is a terrific tool
for high-class snapshot or documentary photography, the kind of
photography I like to practice in between jobs of a quite different and
much more commercial kind.

For light measurement in documentary photography all you need is what the
exposure meter of the M6 offers you (let's put automatic exposure apart):
a reliable measurement of reflected light, with a preference for the
center area of your field of view. Step down and shoot and don't think
twice - or else the precise instant you were looking for has slipped away.

With a bit of practice and experience you can handle even more critical
lighting situations such as low and high key subjects. You will know that
you have to "overexpose" backlit scenes and snowscapes and to underexpose
sunsets and people of dark complexion.

You must keep in mind that each and every exposure meter is dumb and
programmed to "think", that what it is measuring is either a continuous
surface of 50% reflection (medium grey) - a behaviour programmed onto
exposure meters which measure reflected light (as the Leica M6's or
spotmeters) - or, in the case of incident light measurement, to give the
"right" exposure that will portray a medium grey as a medium grey,
whatever is lighter as accordingly lighter, and whatever is darker as
accordingly darker.

What you might loose by trusting incident light measurement is detail in
the shaddows and/or detail in the lights, depending on the latitude that
your film stock offers you and on the subject you are photographing.
Remember, that as precise the exposure meter may be, it is dumb. You are
called in to judge, in any case, what you see in front of you and what
you want it to look like in the picture. If you are photographing a low
key situation, for instance, you have to balance between two options: a
reflected light measurement might result in a strong overexposure (which
you might still be able to handle with comfort when printing, but not
when shooting slides) while an incident light measurement could result in
a relative underexposure, resulting in a loss of detail which you will
never make up for.

Conclusion: Even the pros, who can't do without both types of
measurement, will have to rely on their experience, in the end. With film
stock getting more and more forgiving, the problems are getting more and
more marginal, but if we are talking about non-documentary photography
(or cinematography) you should better know where to put your lights and
how to set and balance them before exposing.

When talking "documentary" photography, which I think Leica M talk is
about, don't think twice, get a fresh battery and rely on that meter in
there. "Underexpose" low key and "overexpose" high key situations, even
give a "paleface" half a stop more, when you're real close...;-)

Hope that helps a bit,
and have a nice holiday!

Lutz (Sling Guy) Konermann

Leica users, get your SLING!