Subject: Re: [Leica] SF Moon rise
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 21:53:14 -0800

Yesterday, I snuck out of the office at 4:30, and headed to the ferry pier.
There I saw a man who was crabbing with a few traps.  He would have made an
interesting picture, but I found the moon already above the horizon, and
moving very quickly.

I moved to the south end of the pier, and started shooting, alternating
between my M6 with Elmarit 90, and Nikon F3/T with a 180mm lens.  It was
quite amazing to see the moon move so fast.  Seconds after I compose, the
moon has already moved so that I needed to resposition myself so that the
moon would fit just right between the piller and cables of the Bay Bridge.

Soon, George Hartzell appeared, with a slew of, ahem, Nikon gears.  He set
up impressively quickly, mounting a 80-200mm on the tripod, and firing shots
with his motor-driven AF camera.  Then, he pulled out his 500mm 1:4 lens,
which captured the top of the bridge with a large moon.  Looking through the
viewfinder, it was a stunning photo.

As the moon climbed further, we moved towards the land, hoping to capture a
silhouette of the bridge.  Realising that the moon is moving very fast, we
just took a few more shots of the moon over the bridge.  The time to take my
ferry to Marin has come, and we parted.

Today, I left the office at more normal time of  5:15, and got to the ferry
pier, with a M6 0.85 with Noctilux.  Minutes after I went aboard onto the
upper deck of the ferry, the moon started rising over the Oakland hills,
peeking below the decks of the Bay Bridge.  Due to the higher humidity and
possibly higher pollution from all the Christmas shoppers, the moon was
incredibly red.  Not being armed with a long lens, but only with a Noctilux,
I just shot a few pictures of the San Francisco skyline.

As the ferry started to cruise on the Bay, the moon was now seen above
Berkeley.  The shimmering reflection on the water was stunningly beautiful,
and most of my ferry-mates must have thought the same, as there were more
passengers on the upper deck than I have ever seen.  At this point, the
exposure is really a guess without a spotmeter.  I bracketed between 1/30 at
wideopen to 1/250, hoping that some of them will produce a right balance
between the brightness of the moon, and the reflection on the water.

Regardless of how big and bright the moon really was or wasn't, the past two
evenings were truly mystical.  I will see if I can get up early enough
tomorrow morning to capture the moonset into the Pacific from Bolinas Ridge.

Cheers,

Ken Iisaka kiisaka@pacbell.net, kiisaka@attglobal.net, kiisaka@ibm.net

Lost in Mill Valley in Marin County, California