Subject: [Leica] Season's greetings...
From: Leopold Green <ldg@dmu.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 10:57:59 -0000

I'd like to wish you all out there in virtual lugland the best for the
holiday season and the new year!

Sorry for being slightly pre-emptive but I only get email at work and so
will have to miss the next two weeks worth...I look forward to seeing some
two thousand posts [well it was last year]...

Though I almost always lurk I do think these little virtual communities are
quite a marvel, one of the few real [human] benefits of the computer
revolution...so strange to read daily the conversations of people I've never
met, probably haven't even emailed, and yet still feel I know quite
well...like a soap opera but interesting...

One final thought, there are tangible benefits to this virtual community -
if it weren't for the lug I'd certainly never have discovered Ted's book,
which with particular fortune arrived upon my birthday back in October. I
know everyone else has said it before [and better] but if you haven't
grabbed a copy of this - well do yourself a favour...almost all my friends
have no interest in either these strange little cameras or photography
[beyond red eye snap shots] and yet they have enjoyed and been moved looking
through Ted's book...so Ted, your available darkness slices of medical life
impress 'ordinary people' more than my Arnold Newman book...the only
drawback is [and I'm sure I'm not alone in having this question asked] when
they ask 'when are you going to take pictures like that?' - to which I can
only reply 'well, not in this lifetime'...

Best wishes to you all, dear virtual family...

Leopold