Subject: [Leica] Incident light measurement
From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 07:56:07 -0500

Eric Welch wrote

"Not in any accurate way without knowing how much light a surface is
relecting. Not if you want an accurate exposure for the
 given sujbect. Incident meters give you a generic good exposure, ignoring
the reflectance of the subject."

Eric you may be a great photographer but you knowledge of physics is not up
to the same high standard! Many other LUGGERS have explained why incident
measurement gives the most accurate base for exposure adjustment better
than I. You can, of course, use whatever method you choose but I would like
to state one simple fact.

ALL exposure meters are incident meters. Reflected light meters are simply
incident meters with optical and/or electronic compensation built in such
that when light reflected from an 18% grey subject is reflected back at
them they give a reading the same as a simple incident meter at the subject
would have given. thats all.

Cheers Frank