Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M6 & chewing gum in Singapore
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 11:32:52 +0300

wvl wrote:

>  I felt secure and unaware of government. I even walked around with
> the Leica around my neck, something I was not willing to do in many
> parts of Europe. I did not even see a uniformed policeman for five
> days.

Policemen don't always wear uniforms in Singapore. That's what makes it
a real police-state: it's all around you. I was there, and it was a nice
place to be, I must say. Perhaps all police states are not what people
make of them. The USSR wasn't all that horrid a place to be, either. I
was in Turkey when that was military-ruled. The press hated the country,
but it was very nice to me. And certainly a lot safer than before the
military took over; I could actually hear the gunshots each night,
before the military coup. And then you'd read in the papers, the next
day, who got killed.