Subject: Re: LUG[Leica] Incident light measurement
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 08:30:30 -0800

sometime around 12/23/99 4:56 AM, Frank Dernie at FrankDernie@compuserve.com
was heard  to write:

> ALL exposure meters are incident meters. Reflected light meters are simply
> incident meters with optical and/or electronic compensation built in such
> that when light reflected from an 18% grey subject is reflected back at
> them they give a reading the same as a simple incident meter at the subject
> would have given. thats all.

Frank, you are flat wrong. I know physics just fine. Incident meter means
the light falls on the sensor directly from the light source. That IS THE
DEFINITION of incident meter. Reflective meter measures the light reflecting
off the subject, not just 18% grey subjects, as you inaccurately describe.

The camera measures the light and reports back how to make that tone 18%
gray, it does not think that is 18 percent gray. It doesn't think at all! No
one, but someone who doesn't know what they are talking about, thinks a Zone
VIII tone is Zone V.

That's just the beginning. It also takes brains to interpret either kind of
meter reading. Reflective metering allows for more accurate placement of
tones, and if you can't see that, then there is no need to continue the
discussion. Using an incident meter is more like using auto exposure, and
reflective meters like manual. The latter gives more direct control over the
results.

I know a lot of pro photographers who don't know squat about proper exposure
and rely on the forgiving films they use to save their butts. For them the
incident meter is ideal. Not that only bad and incompetent photographers use
them, but in this case, it's the way to go.

And on top of that, there is a wide range of quality of the photographs that
are offered by pros. Just because a Pro uses an incident meter, or Minolta
cameras, or Leicas and relective meters is secondary to their competence,
and who they learned the trade from has a lot to do with how they work. A
pro is someone who makes more than 50 percent of their money via photography
(IRS rule?) and that's about it. Anyone can call themselves pro. A lot of
incompetence exists in the profession. At least as much as there is
competence.

- --

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

Cynicism often masquerades for sophistication in our society, but more often
than not it's merely an indicator of resentment.