Subject: Re: [Leica] Nikon LS-2000 questions
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 09:48:35 -0800

At 12:24 PM +0100 12/24/99, Pascal wrote:
>For those Nikon Super Coolscan LS-2000 users among us, I would have two
>questions:
>
>1. I am having color fidelity troubles with scanning slides. My setup is
>Adobe Photoshop 5.5 with the Nikon Scan 2.5 plugin (on Mac). I have
>activated the Nikon Color Management System, and set the RGB to
>"Colormatch RGB" (same setting in Photoshop). Gamma 1.8 (Mac). No matter
>what I do, the colors are oversaturated and the image is way too dark in
>comparison to the original. Contrast is too high. And changing this
>afterwards in Photoshop has a negative impact on overall quality (often
>with washed-out results). Any help? What are the settings others are
>using succesfully?
>
>2. There also appears to be an issue with vignetting caused by the
>scanner. I have scanned many negatives and slides which are absolutely
>free of any vignetting on the original, but the scans appear to have some
>vignetting added to them. See the Stratcom section on my web pages if you
>want to see this "feature". Anyone having the same impression?

Pascal, I tend to shut the Nikon Color management off (I use 2.5 as well),
as it seems to be the thing that fights proper adjustment. Then, in
Photoshop (I'm still using 5.0), I set the color to Adobe RGB (1998). I
usually bring raw 16bit scans into Photoshop and then do the adjustment
there. First I check the levels to see the histogram, and do basic
trimming, then I go into the levels to do color balancing. When I am
satisfied with that, I go into 24bit space and do whatever else needs
doing. This leaves me with lots of options, and the software doesn't fight
me.

Hope this helps.

Happy holidays, everyone, and thank you for the great year of friends,
information and entertainment!

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com