Subject: Re: [Leica] Thrones, Dominions, and Powers
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 16:44:21 -03-30

At 12:31 PM 24/12/99 -0500, you wrote:

>(Of course, in 1931, Newfoundland, ..Bermuda, Jamaica, the BVI, Trinidad &
>Tobago, British Guinea, on to Pitcairn Island, Hong Kong, Malaya,
>Singapore, Brunei, Borneo, Burma, Ceylon, and half of Africa, were all
>colonies under the direct rule of the British Colonial Office,

Not sure of the others, but in 1931 Newfoundland was still an independent
country ...having established "Responsible Government" in 1855 and voting
for independence instead of joining the Canadian confederation in 1869

Not until 1934 with the full impact of the losses of WWI and the Depression
did Newfoundland suspend its elected, but bankrupt, government and returned
political control to Westminster under the "Commission of Government".

This continued until 1949 when Newfoundlanders voted, by a slim margin, to
join the Canadian Confederation.

I still have a 1933 "National" flag of Newfoundland hanging in my front
porch. It belonged to my grandmother and is a real bit of history because
the flag never had a chance to be "officially" sanctioned by the government
before Newfoundland's democracy was suspended and they headed down the road
to Canada.

For those wishing to know more about Newfoundland (Great Britain's first
colony) here is a pretty good
website.  http://www.heritage.nf.ca/introduction.html

Greg Locke                         St. John's, Newfoundland
locke@straylight.ca              http://www.straylight.ca
Touched By Fire: doctors without borders in a third world crisis.
http://www.straylight.ca/touchedbyfire.htm
ISBN#0-7710-5305-3 McClelland & Stewart