Subject: [Leica] Anyone else like to get info on camera tech used?
From: lbonser@worldnet.att.net
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1999 08:23:07 -0800

Everyone,

This isn't really Leica-specific, per say, but sort of applies because in my
humble opinion, Leica users seem more willing to indicate what sort of
technology they're using.

Anyway...I've noticed something: While browsing through various photography
magazines and most particularly in books (biographies about photographers
and photo galleries), there's a trend against including what equipment was
used to make the shot.

National Geographic is one of the few exceptions--sort of. The National
Geographic web site has this whole section where they talk about the film
and cameras used for the photos in their magazine, but the photographers'
biography section fails to indicate what equipment any given photographer
uses. Granted, they may use a wide variety of equipment, but still....

Now, some people might make the arguement that you don't need to know what
camera or lens was used and the purpose is to simply appreciate the
photograph. They like to say "Just because <insert famous photographer name
here> used <insert camera name here> and <insert lens here> doesn't mean
that you (any old hobbyist/not a famous photographer) can create the same
photograph using the same equipment. Therefore, you don't need to know what
equipment was used."

I don't know about anyone else on the list, but I tend to appreciate things
better when I realize how they were made and under what limitations the
person was working. Am I the only person this applies to?

Part of the reason I like photography as a hobby is that you can "get into"
the results, or you can "get into" the equipment and/or techniques. There's
something for everyone, regardless of their bent.

I think about other areas of human endeavour: Imagine a car magazine
reporting on some big auto race, but failing to indicate what type of car
the driver drove? Or an museum that won't tell you whether the artist used
oils or watercolors? Dog breeders will gladly tell you what food they feed
their champions and often what type of training techniques they use. Why
can't a book of photographs tell you what film, camera, and lens was used
(if known)?

Enough ranting for now. Merry Christmas all.

Les

PS: Since I brought up the topic, I guess I should indicate what equipment I
use--right?

I have a Nikon FM2n with a couple different lens (very rarely used these
days--not that it's not a good camera, I just can't see well enough any more
to focus the darn thing--use it mainly for landscapes where the mechanical
shutter works well for long exposures with slow film and small aperatures),
a Contax G2 with 45 mm f2 lens (this tends to be my workhorse camera...),
and a Leica Minilux (...which I find myself using more and more. Produces
great pictures, optical quality is fabulous, and the control ergonomics are
a joy to use). I also have a Kodak DC215 digital camera for quick shots of
my dogs for posting to my web page.

For 2000, I'm focusing on two new things (no pun intended): saving enough
money to buy an M6 and building my own medium format box camera (either wood
with brass fittings or entirely out of brass). I'm not just saying that I'm
wanting to buy an M6 just to fit into the mail list...I really do want one.
After trying the G2, I find that I dislike SLRs more and more.