Subject: Re: [Leica] B
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 19:29:49 -0800

Martin Howard   wrote:

>It is commonly said that the "B" on the shutter speed dial stands for
>"bulb".  This doesn't seem to make much sense.  Does anyone know the story
>behind this, or what the "B" *really* stands for?>>>>>

Hi Martin

It has always been my understanding that it allowed the shutter to be held
open via a "bulb and air pressure through a rubber tube until the "flash
powder, eventually flash bulb " was popped, then released allowing the
shutter to close.

Many years ago, (before you were born!) :)  I made an exposure where we
popped 50 flash bulbs all at the same time to make one exposure and used
this exact method with the "bulb B" setting on a Speed Graphic.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant