Subject: [Leica] Jags and Konicas
From: "Rod Fleming" <rodfleming@sol.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 09:57:38 -0000

Hi

Dan C wrote

>They're still making Jaguar XJ-6, which is 22 years old and essentially
unchanged.<

Er, no, Dan, not really. Jaguar introduced the XJ6 model and name in 1969.
It had minor restyles in 1974 and 1979. In 1986 a completely new model with
a totally new engine, brakes, suspension, chassis, and design was
introduced- but kept the name for marketing reasons, and in 1993 (I believe
the date is correct, but this is a bit too recent for me, at least as far as
Jags are concerned) another new model was introduced, with new engines and
styling, but again keeping the name. The XJ6 series of models was until the
introduction of the new S-type last year, the mainstay of Jaguar reputation
and sales. The XK series 3.8 litre 6 cylinder motor was discontinued in
1968, BTW.

In the same period, 1969 to 1993, Leica introduced the M5 and dropped it,
the CL and dropped it, citing both as commercially unviable, and redeveloped
an older model, the M-4, into the M-6, which is currently available in two
versions.

By comparison with Leica, Jaguar are positively radical! However, I would
agree that there is a feel of quality about both which makes them attractive
in a similar sort of way,  both companies have cleverly built up a
substantial niche market amongst those who like that sort of thing and both
companies have a policy of maintaining a supply of spares for long obsolete
models. (Which last I dearly wish certain others in the photographic market
would also do-ever tried getting parts for an older Durst enlarger?)

So what was your point exactly?

Cheers

Rod

Going out to take pictures of my Jaguars with my Leica................