Subject: Re: [Leica] Multicoating
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 09:22:48 -0700

I am afraid that I can only offer anecdotal evidence and hearsay on this
question but perhaps the reposting will twig someone's memory. If you are
talking about multi-coating such as Pentax and others have (they are cheap
and will keep a baby happy for hours), I do not think that Leica coats for
coatings sake. The Pentax et al lenses will give "pretty" magenta, green,
etc reflections off its front element, while all the Leica lens I have only
seem to give off a deep magenta reflection ( baby got bored right away). My
lenses span the early seventies though 1997 with little apparent difference.
Many sources say that Leica uses such special glass that they require less
coating to achieve the high contrast that we love them for. Dick Gilcreast
reports in his viewfinder article on the 35mm f1.4 that it received
multi-coating around 2 930 xxx (1978). The only generalization one can make
is that later lenses display better contrast with similar designs than
earlier lenses. Many reports say that a particular lens (during a known
version's production) "seems to have been tweaked at such and such a point".
Perhaps a coating change some of the time. In practical terms "a lens in the
hand is worth two in the store"....
Cheers

John Collier

Mr. Bolam enquired: