Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Knowledge
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 16:00:22 EST

In a message dated 12/27/99 3:04:09 PM, guybnt@idt.net writes:

<< isn't being and staying informed about the merchandise he's selling the
dealer's job? if leica is a brand he's selling, it behooves him to keep up
on it, even if that only means opening a copy of 'popular photography' from
time to time. (it so happens that the 90 apo is reviewed in the jan. issue
of p.p.)

i don't think that the ignorance and laziness of a given dealer is the
fault of one of the companies he's selling.

I worked in three different camera shops during my youth. The "training" we
received was limited to occasional visits by the manufacturers reps who
occasionally bought pizza and beer after work and showed us a new product. It
was up to individual salesmen to study the literature or read up on the
equipment. Some didn't even do this. The worst ones in terms of knowing
nothing generally were the store owners. Incidently, our Leica rep at the
time was Jim Kuehl, who as I recall, dealt with only one or two long-time
salesman who took responsibility for the Leica sales. We generally just
deferred those customers to those guys. Sorry to say, I don't believe I sold
a single new Leica camera in the three or so years I worked in camera stores.
I did sell a few used ones, as I recall, though.

Bob