Subject: Re: [Leica] f/2.8 24 mm Elmarit-R - field curvature
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 16:03:30 GMT

My latest version of the Summicron R50 also exhibets field curvature of this
nature.  It is actually quite an irritation in some situations.  The one
salvation is that with the SLR you can actually SEE the effect before you
press the shutter.  It can allow you to correct your focus if necessary.

Without a doubt the worst curvature of field I have encountered is in the
35mm Elmar 3.5 LTM lens.  Focused at infinity the edges are not sharp until
F8+..Yet if you have any forground in the shot you will find it is quite
sharp at the closest distance in the frame.  This can be OK with subjects at
extreme angles, but a complete downer in most other situations.

Best wishes

Dan