Subject: Re: [Leica]Re: Non-Leica but historically significant
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 12:16:33 -0800

Mike,

I didn't think that you thought I was endorsing it - but thanks for your
reply.

I don't think it's fair to criticize Ebay, though. It would be impossible
for them to verify the authenticity of everything listed. A comparison would
be, say, to a newspaper where no one expects that the paper itself is
responsible for the content of all its classified ads. EBay goes much
further than most newspapers in tracking down fraud and safeguarding its
users.

In my personal dealings on EBay (as both an occasional buyer and seller)
I've only considered that EBay put me in contact with the other party. All
the details have been up to me. I've gotten some pretty good deals, though.

I also think that anyone even remotely considering a $20K+ on EBay would
contact the seller and work out further provenance, payment terms, warranty,
etc. If they don't, they probably get what they deserve.

At least we're not bidding <g>.

Bryan